About Us

Doctrinal Beliefs

While we understand many people come from different belief systems, we lovingly and unapologetically stand on these truths at Bethany.


  • the Bible was written by men supernaturally inspired by God
  • there is one, and only one, living and true God
  • Jesus Christ was born of the Holy Spirit, in a miraculous manner of Mary, a virgin
  • that the salvation of sinners is by grace through Jesus Christ, the Son of God
  • that in order to be saved, sinners must be born again; that the new birth is a new creation in Christ Jesus
  • that Christ rose bodily the third day

Foundational Beliefs

Everything we do around Bethany is based on these foundational beliefs.


ACKNOWLEDGES – We are weak without God. Any success that we experience here at Bethany will be because of God. We will not overestimate what we can do without God and we will not underestimate what God can do through us.

COMMITS – We will stay faithful to the Bible. The Bible is foundational to our doctrine, our worship services, and our mission. We fully believe that the Bible is fully sufficient and trustworthy for us to follow.

REMEMBERS – We will extend grace because we have been given grace. We refuse to have a “better than you” spirit at Bethany. We are all broken, sinful people that are being repaired by the grace of God.

DETERMINES – We will go to great lengths to introduce people to Jesus. To reach people nobody is reaching, we have to do what nobody is doing. We are willing to break some rules and bear some burdens so that we can love them to Jesus.

GIVES – We will practice incredible generosity. It is more blessed to give than to receive is something that we believe here at Bethany. Giving is not something we do, generous is who we are. We can be generous because God has been so generous to us.

UNITES – We will unite the family of God. When we are united in the family of God, we have incredible potential. We believe that we can do infinitely more together than we could alone. Instead of causing division, we want to stand united with other believers for the Gospel’s sake.

Our History

Bethany Baptist Church was organized in 1874 by a group of community residents who wanted to band together and form a congregation near their homes.

Sampson Brewer Barfield gave a corner of his property at the crossroads of, what was then, the Franklinville – Troupeville Road and Valdosta Road for the church site. He requested that the church be named for his mother, Bethenia Brewer Barfield.

Those members erected a building which still stands and is now being used as a multi-purpose facility. The beams were hand-hewn and a pot-bellied stove was the only source of heat. There were doors on each side of the building, which served as separate entrances for the men and then women.

The church was constituted in 1877 by J.C. McMillan. J.C. was the church clerk at the time. They total membership was 70 and the property was valued at $1,500.
In the beginning, baptismal services were held at a small, spring-fed pond, then known as Barfield Pond. Later these events took place at the river.

In 1958, Tally Lawson donated additional land. The site grew to its present size when Waldo Stith added to the tract in 1969.

In May of 1999, the church dedicated a new sanctuary that would seat 400 people to accommodate the growing church.

Meet our team

We have a great team here at Bethany Baptist Church and we are dedicated to serving you. Let us know if you need anything.